Thursday, February 02, 2006

Chinese New Year


Cultural Event #1 – Perhaps the First and Last

If all the Cultural Events I attend this year are as lame as this one, I’ll skip them in advance. This was the gayest parade I’ve ever seen. Thousands of people from Chicago flock to Chinatown, jamming the trains, and the parade consists of… one lion dancer, one small dragon, a painting of a dog carried by some Chinese people, two kilt-wearing bagpipe bands (TWO), two high school marching bands (95% African-American), some trolleys, and Ronald McDonald in a shoe. Yes, as we all know, Ronald McDonald ensures a lucky and healthy Year of the Dog. Then we waited in line for 45 minutes to eat lunch since all the restaurants were jam-packed and totally understaffed (as if the restaurant owners were totally caught off-guard by the crowds of people there for Chinese New Year). There were no firecrackers! Since the last time I attended the parade, they’ve been outlawed! The lion dancers blessing the stores after the parade were pretty lame too. They were just some old dudes, not even lion dancers from a kung fu school, so no jumps or kicks or anything. I can have a more authentic Chinese experience without leaving my freaking house… next time I’ll know better.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

That sounds positively stupid! Year of the Dog shit, more like. It will be interesting to compare my upcoming Chinese New Year event with this debacle.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home