Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Munich - Again




Maya – Movie #4

Stop the presses! Sandy and I like the same movie! Well, it happens from time to time, but not that often. I’d say this is easily Spielberg’s best movie. I’m not a Spielberg fan, obviously, but I appreciate a well-crafted movie… Apparently he knows how to make one of those. He usually panders too much and loses me, but this movie absolutely succeeded. The painstaking detail in each shot was frankly mind-boggling. There are problems of course – the characterizations are too simplistic, he’s too obsessed with having his heroes be completely noble, he’s a slight hair away from being a straight-up misogynist… but overall I’d say the movie is a resounding success and one of the best of the year. And that’s not even counting a huge-ass part for my future boyfriend, Mathieu Amalric. Hey, his English is flawless! Time to cast him in movies that are more readily accessible in the United States!

No, seriously, go see this movie. I’ll be seeing it again for sure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I thought the Prime Minister was a semi-interesting female character.
You're right about Mathieu's eyes - they were coal-like! He has a very feline essence.

2:06 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Yeah, she was interesting, but Golda Meir's a historical figure, not a character that he invented (i.e. the only other 2 women in the movie: the wife (Madonna) and the secret agent/killer lady (Whore).

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home