Monday, January 09, 2006

Brokeback Mountain, again

Movie #1

I agree with Sandy on everything. Except, I thought Anne Hathaway was really great. Especially in that telephone scene at the end where the camera just sits on her forever and pretty much all of her acting comes from the clicks in her throat and tears in her eyes, but everything she says is still even and snippy. That was awesome. I thought she was better than Michelle Williams, but I admit I still have a grudge against Dawson's Creek.

Also, my audience was perfect. No snickering, no loud sobbing, no TALKING. It was super. I suppose my next movie will be a joint post with Maya, when we see something in Chicago! Maya, what haven't you seen yet?

6 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I messed up my last comment. Oops.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Anne's final phone scene. To me it seemed like Ang directed her to deliver it in that rehearsed way but she didn't quite nail it. Also, did you guys buy her story of what happened? I think maybe she or her dad made it up.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

I think we're supposed to assume that the scenario that Ennis imagined is what really happened. I think this was their cover story. I mean, if Jack had really told his dad that he was leaving his wife and moving up to the ranch with a guy, I could see Anne's dad getting some local toughs to beat the shit out of him.

11:40 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Hmmm, what haven't I seen? For this weekend, I'm thinking about The New World, Munich, Syriana, The Squid & The Whale, Match Point... etc...

11:58 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

As to what really happened to Ennis, I assumed it was that he was beaten to death. Her cover story was transparently absurd... got killed while changing a tire? I probably couldn't manage that, let alone some rough-and-tumble cowboy, gay or not. I don't think that anyone wanted him to be killed though, I got the impression that his wife had accepted the fact that he was gay long ago and just lived with it... he was probably killed by random hate-filled rednecks. One quick question I have, which nobody who has seen the movie has been able to answer: What is Heath Ledger's final line in the movie? He's looking at the shirts in his closet, and looks at the postcard of Brokeback Mountain, and then mumbles some line, and I understood the sentiment behind it but not the actual words. Any insight?

12:41 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

According to IMDb, it's "Jack, I swear..." which is also what I heard.

Munich, Syriana, and Squid&Whale are on my short list, as is Capote. I'm up for anything.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home