Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle


By Haruki Murakami
Sandy's Book #14

I get it now. I see what all the fuss is about when it comes to Murakami, Japan's supreme, all-time greatest, most genius, coolest novelist EVER. I'm a little slow on the uptake I guess, because I thought Norwegian Wood was just so-so. His short stories left me cold. I liked Sputnik Sweetheart pretty well, so I decided to give this long-ass (500+ pages) birdie chronicle a try. That was a year ago-- I gave up after 75 pages. But I came back, baby, and that shit ended up being a page-turner. Now I am hooked. I cannot wait to read that Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World that's been chillin' on my bookshelf for more than three years now. Yeah I think I bought it when Maya woke up from her coma and said her subconscious was just like that book... but I still haven't read it. But thanks to my newfound appreciate for Murakami, I am moving it to the top of my queue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home