Friday, August 11, 2006

Movie #40

Lemming

Here is a picture of the lead actor in Lemming, Laurent Lucas (any relation?) Patty and I thought he was really hot (it helps to imagine French coming out of his mouth) but my sister disagreed.



This was a good psychological thriller – very action-packed for a French film (but slow-paced by any other standards). It’s definitely influenced by David Lynch, but slightly more comprehensible. I enjoyed the performance of the lead actor very much, and want to see him in other movies. He slowly unravels over the course of the film, and I thought his portrayal was subtle but entirely fascinating.

The best thing about this film was the sound editing - I’m impressed when directors put so much detail into the sound of a film. There were recurring sound motifs, and the soundtrack was sparse and used very effectively. Some of the music was Ligeti, and I’m not sure about the rest. I guess I could look on imdb, but my head is killing me. Anyway, the French certainly seem to know how to put a movie together well, if nothing else. Even if you’re bored by the slow pace and far-fetched plot, the look and sound of this film is better than anything you’re likely to see coming out of Hollywood anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home