Saturday, August 05, 2006

Scoop (Scoop-ah-doop, scoop-ah-doop)


Sandy's movie #23

Carrie was right! (Dang, Uute, how often do you see a movie before me? I may never write those words again...) I'm underwhelmed. It's really been a crapshoot with Woody these last, oh, 16 years or so... and this one ends up somewhere between Small Time Crooks and Match Point on the spectrum. That is to say, Small Time Crooks was rubbish and Match Point was clever... so Scoop was... mediocre. That wasn't written with very much conviction, I know. Scarlett turns in an uneven performance, starting out completely high school drama club but redeeming herself by the end. Woody is nebbishy and charming. Hugh's nipples stand at attention for the duration. The story is, basically, Manhattan Murder Mystery across the pond and on hallucinogens.

By the by, there was a group of about four teenage girls sitting right behind me, ostensibly there to admire ScarJo's wardrobe. They gabbed to eachother the entire time and-- as teen girls are wont to do-- said lame shit like "That is so weird" and "That is so dumb" and "Oh my god! Scarlett! She's so cuuute." I only shhhhed them once because-- guess what?-- they ignored me anyway, and my pleas to Marc of "Can you please make them shut up?" were fruitless. Next time I may resort to a stinkbomb. (Do you think I'd get kicked out for that?)

1 Comments:

Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Wow.... both of y'all beat me to a Woody Allen film. How the hell did that happen?

He does have the occasional effect of making a good actor appear unnatural and stagey. It was bound to happen sooner or later with Scarlett. I guess I'm looking forward to this movie... if only I could travel back in time in order to see it before you guys and thereby save face. Oh well.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home