Friday, August 04, 2006

DAYS OF HEAVEN



I've never seen this movie on the big screen before... needless to say, it was amazing. It’s one of those films that you watch on DVD and think the whole time, “Dammit, I need to see this on the big screen!” Well, The Music Box came through with a new print and delivered.

The visual highlights (probably obvious to anyone who's seen the
movie):
The burning fields - completely breathtaking.
The way so many scenes were shot in the dawn/pre-dawn hours - it's
very unusual to see that kind of lighting in a film, and gives it an
otherwordly feel. (Or maybe it just feels otherwordly to me because
I'm never awake at that time, thank god.)
Richard Gere's face - he's totally gorgeous.
Sam Shepard's face - I never thought he looked great before, but on
the big screen he really does. I found him more sympathetic during
this viewing than ever before.

Anyway, I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this film, but I
probably need to (after midterms are over). There are many parallels
between Days of Heaven and my personal favorite Malick film, The New World.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home