Sunday, March 02, 2008

Turning Into Sandy?

Jodhaa Akbar



I went out with my friend Vijay last night, and we had some wonderful Indian food (which I seriously haven’t had in months and months – what is wrong with me?!?) He asked me if I liked Indian movies, and I had to admit I haven’t seen very many due to their insane length. I agreed to give the newest Bollywood epic a try, however.
When we got to the ticket booth, the ticket-seller asked me, “Are you excited to see this film?” I think I said yes, and then he gleefully said, “You better be, it’s three hours and forty minutes long!” He probably noticed I was the only non-Indian person buying a ticket. I have to admit my heart sank a little, but I gave myself a pep talk – I sit through two movies back to back all the time, even three! If I pretended that it was two movies back to back, I thought I’d be able to manage it.
Much to my surprise, I loved this film. The vast spectacle of the landscape, battle scenes, animals, buildings, everything, was truly overwhelming on the big screen. It helped that the volume was probably turned up to the absolute maximum. Yeah, the movie was long, and there were a lot of historical details that left me completely in the dark. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen such ravishing costumes and jewelry in a film before, and the pace was quick enough to keep you from getting bored. Of course, the two leads are so creepily good-looking, it was hard to get bored looking at them as well.
I wish you could see this in the theater Sandy! Maybe there’s a big Indian population near Portland that I don’t know about, and they show this kind of thing… keep your eyes peeled, anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

EEEEEE Insane Green Seething Jealousy! At least this movie won you over to the B'side and now you won't brush off my Bollywood film suggestions so easily. Is that Hrithik Roshan in the picture (wearing a lot of eyeliner)? Love him! Maybe I can catch this flick in NYC... not enough NRIs in Portland.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Hrithik?! Is that the guy with the "lucky finger?"

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Yes, that's the one! I'm always trying to catch a glimpse of his 11th finger in movies but can never find it. I wonder if they digitally erase it. Or maybe it's just a lucky stump.

5:14 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

You can see his extra finger in this movie. I wouldn't have noticed, but my friend leaned over and pointed it out at the exact right time. They do a good job of not bringing much attention to it. It actually looked like an extra thumb (one thumb split into two). As hot as he is, that extra digit is totally nast-o.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home