Monday, January 28, 2008

Book?

The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

I've been sort of plodding through this book for a month or so. It's one of those novels that's been on every book club's list for the past couple of years - my copy even had a discussion guide in the back. Holy presumptuous!

Anyhoodle, so I didn't really love this book so much. The idea is really intriguing - the main character has a condition that causes him to jump around in time. He can't control the ability, or where or when he lands. His wife first meets him when she is six and he is 43. He meets her for the first time when he is 28 and she is 20. The book is about their twoo wuv and their various meetings and crazy life together.

The execution of this premise is not so strong. Niffenegger is SO in love with her characters and her ideas that she just can't stop herself. The book is too long by half. The dialogue is ridiculous at times. Neither main character is all that likable, to be honest.

However. A movie version is coming out in June, and I am really excited about it! Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana! Awesome. All the tedious stuff will be removed (hopefully), and the actors are charismatic enough to make me like the characters more than I liked them in the book. It's exactly the kind of story that is better on screen than on the page.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

A lame book club tried to make me read this once. It didn't take. Thanks for letting me off the hook with your review. The movie looks HOT!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home