Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

by Melissa Bank
Sandy's book #13

This totally quenched my thirst for good chick lit. (It's not about shopping and it doesn't have a pink cover, but make no mistake-- it's for girls' eyes only.) Carrie, you told me to read this like, years ago. I dug it like you knew I would.

My only qualm is with the character of Archie Knox (the narrator's much-older boyfriend), who I kept picturing as Ian McKellan. Love him, except that-- in my head-- this character looked and sounded g-a-y. So then I finished the book and looked on imdb (because I know they're making a movie out of it), and who is playing Archie but Alec fucking Baldwin. Ew. WORSE, Buffy was cast as the narrator, "Jane" (whom they've apparently renamed "Brett" of all things.) That led me to check the cast list of The Lovely Bones (another popular chick book I dug) and lo! Dakota Frightening is rumored to have been cast as Susie. Arghh! Kal Penn better not disappoint in The Namesake. The problem with liking books is that you start hating movies. I guess I'm turning into my mother after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Ok, let's recast the movie. I'm thinking Rachel McAdams as the-- oh right, I've gotta stop doing that. Well, how about Amy Adams or Isla Fisher? They're both kinda baby faces... I would have been fine with Reese Witherspoon (who I think is a producer on this).

As for the older editor guy - I pictured him a little more bookish, a little less smarmy. Clive Owen? I'm totally blanking here.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Isla Fisher does have the right vibe (and she's a Jew, which must be why Gellar was cast in the first place-?)

How about...

Archie Knox: James Cromwell
Jamie: Sung Kang (because why does everyone have to be white?)
Henry: Ryan Phillippe (since wifey's got her fingers in the pie)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

James "That'll do, Pig" Cromwell? The character wasn't THAT old, was he?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

He was 28 years older than her... so if she was 25, he was 53. Now you understand why I was picturing Ian McKellan?!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Weird. I forgot he was that much older. William Hurt? Jeremy Irons? David Strathairn?

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home