Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Dichotomy of Meryl Streep

Movie #9, The Devil Wears Prada

As Maya mentioned in the comments, I am not at all on track to reach 25 movies this year. So last night, I hit a double feature, for which I (allegedly) only paid one matinee ticket price. The first of these was the one where Meryl Streep plays the titular Devil. I found her just delightful, of course, and I also liked Anne Hathaway more than I anticipated. But I only found Andy sympathetic for a specific portion of the movie. That is, the portion starting with Stanley Tucci dressing her down for not really trying, and ending when she utters the words, "You were right about everything" to her wet dishrag boyfriend. Does anyone else feel that the rest of the movie disagrees with its ending? What was I doing rooting for Andy when she accomplished some little thing that pleased her boss? Why was I happy when she actually put some thought into how she looked and therefore put some thought into the importance of her boss and the magazine? And why can't the people in her life just look at this year she spends "selling her soul" as the internship that it is - a tough period to get through so that you can ultimately do what you wanted in the first place? I guess I was wrong and this fucking asshole chef (who I'm so sure has never missed an important day with his girlfriend because HE had to work a late night) is right. God, that really ruined the movie for me, I have to say.

Movie #10, A Prairie Home Companion

Being a Minnesotan, I was contractually obligated to see this one, but as a fan of the radio show (shut up!), I'd actually been looking forward to it. Plus, Robert Altman. I'm happy to report that it's a total delight. And yet, this isn't a movie for everyone, because of course it doesn't follow a traditional narrative path. Or rather, it does it the same way Garrison Keillor and Altman tell stories - with tangents and loose ends and overlapping action. In short, it's just swell.

I mean, I guess some people have trouble keeping the thread when they're so used to filmmakers spelling everything out almost to the point of handing out an accompanying spreadsheet with each movie ticket. But it's fun to sit back and stop worrying about where you're going - especially in a film where you can just enjoy the interactions between actors like Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Maya Rudolph, and Streep of course.

If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I've heard there's a new Wayans Brothers movie coming out this weekend. One of them pretends to be a baby! Oh, mercy!

In truth, I have no problem with stupid movies, but I do have a problem with stupid people. Like the type of people who believe that thinking is the antithesis of entertainment. If you believe that, please stop going to see movies that might challenge you, because I don't want to sit next to you in the theater as you make your exasperated noises. Thinking hard! Movie bad! Me want splosion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home