Friday, May 19, 2006

Story of the Sea, Twins v. White Sox

Cultural Event #9

A whole slew of people stumbled into the dark and tiny 7th Street Entry at First Avenue to see Story of the Sea, because my friend Kate (of the illustrious Kate and Joe) was celebrating her birthday and wanted to do it up dirty rocker style. The three-piece band loud and fun and their awesome drummer kept the performance really tight. It's probably the best performance I've seen by a local band. Somehow, I still managed to almost nod off a couple of times, but that's another story. I look forward to seeing them again when I'm a little more awake and a little more drunk.

Cultural Event #10

My awesome aunt and uncle gave Bud and I tickets to a Twins game on Sunday night, and we had a great time. Well, we had a great first inning anyway after the White Sox led off with three runs. The notoriously fickle Twins fans (or at least the Uutala faction) were ready to throw it in, but then! The Twins got up and hit for seven runs. This was going to be a great game! And it was, actually, except that we somehow ended up losing by two. Eh, such is baseball.

Before the game even started, we were each handed a button at the door that said, "Build It!" The Minnesota legislature has been looking at three separate stadium proposals - one for the Twins, Vikings, and Gophers - and none of them passed. AGAIN. I have two words for the stadium planners: RETRACTABLE. ROOF. No one will go to games that might get rained out. We're used to the dome, and while I would love nothing more than to see my first baseball game under a bright sunny sky, I would NOT like to see my first game with soggy shoes and a poncho over my face. But listen, Minnesotans: If you want to see professional sports in your state, you're gonna have to pay. It's not going to be a lot and it's not going to be forever, but it has to happen or the teams will leave. Make your choice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Hey I went to a baseball game too! But haven't posted on it yet. The Portland BEAVERS, baby. Bats + Balls + Beavers = Good times.

Have you been to Milwaukee's retractable roof dome?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

I haven't been to Miller Park, mostly because I avoid Milwaukee when possible. It's the armpit of Wisconsin - and it's got a lot of competition in that department so it's quite a feat. But I've heard that the stadium is awesome. Too bad the team sucks. Uh, not that I should be talking, I guess.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home