Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Movies #21 and #22

Movie #21 was the Midwest Independent Film Festival again (first Tuesday of every month). This time it was a program of comedic shorts, and for the most part they were all very funny. I’m pretty impressed with the generally high quality of films they show every month.



Movie #22 was The Notorious Bettie Page. I figured I should see it on the big screen since Mary Harron is one of the few (relatively) well-known feminist directors in this country, and one of her films is in my top ten all-time favorites (that would be American Psycho). It was definitely a good movie, artfully done, great performances all around, etc. I was still somewhat underwhelmed, who knows why. Gretchen Mol really does resemble Bettie Page very closely. Was the real Bettie Page such an airhead? I certainly don’t know. It’s worth seeing, but not anywhere near the level of Harron’s last film.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

So, is this more of a renter, Maya? I was thinking about seeing it in the theater, but maybe I'll go to Friends With Money instead.

9:51 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Haven't seen Friends With Money yet, but that's on my list too. These two movies are probably about at the same level (fun to see in theaters, but not strictly necessary). Really, Bettie Page was not a bad movie, and tons of nudity (incentive, for the guys anyway).

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home