Friday, May 05, 2006

The Fast Track One-Day Detox Diet

Book #5, by Ann Louise Gittleman
Y'all - do not buy into this "one-day" nonsense. This was 11 days of choking down broccoli spear after kale leaf after dandelion root tea. With one day of fasting in the middle. First, the upsides: I did lose six pounds. And I did discover some new foods that I like (including the kale). And I did learn some things about why those green foods are so important. Now, the downsides: I spent at least $100 on food for those 11 days. And it was HELLA annoying to try to plan meals without using any grains. And I don't like eating two servings of meat every day. And I missed bread and sugar so much that I almost cried.

I actually took on this challenge because I'd been sick for four weeks, wasn't sleeping well, and suddenly my pants were all uncomfortable. I knew something wasn't right inside and I started googling for a one-day detox. I ended up believing Gittleman's line that a fast detox won't work if your organs are still full of toxins, and decided to do the 11 days. It was hard, and I'm not sure it was really worth it. The hassle of trying to fit in all of the specific foods from each group, while avoiding pretty much every food I usually eat (including all grains, beans, cheese) was really taxing. I mean, it's nice to see the six pounds gone, but surely at least a few of those will come back quickly. I'm not sick anymore, but I'm also not sleeping any better. I only really felt good on the day of and day after the fast (during which you drink a cranberry juice mixture). From now on, I think I'd just get a cleansing kit and be done with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home