Friday, April 07, 2006

Sandy was right

Movie #5 - V For Vendetta

Well, I'm late to the party again, as usual. I saw V last night, and was totally smitten. I even experienced some weird feeling of affinity with the human race. Made me tear up a little bit, I must admit.

The visuals in the film are beautiful - gray, red, and black are the main colors of the real world, while the television continues to broadcast a bright and varied palette. The direction is actually subdued in comparison to the rest of the comic book genre, and the performances are uniformly great. Including Portman's, I have to say, and I am no fan of our good Queen Amidala. Now, some of the dialogue does go a little over into "precious" territory, but I probably won't live to see a comic book movie where that doesn't happen (can you guys think of one?), and it didn't deter from my enjoyment at all. It's a strange feeling to be sort of profoundly affected by something while also really having a great time watching it.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Crazy Cat Guy said...

Hi Carrie, I loved this too. Great mix of Phantom of the Opera, Matrix, Count of Monte Cristo, etc.. and current day based themes. To be honest though I kept waiting for it to fall flat on it's face because it was so ambitious but they pulled it off! Very smartly done. Some dissed the masked man's performance but I think he managed to give the character life in spite the lack of acting tools normally allowed.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

I thought Hugo Weaving did a good job too. I'd contrast it with Spiderman, where Willem Dafoe was stuck with that huge green mask. In that case, I think the mask kind of got in the way of engaging with the character, but I didn't feel that way about V. I think Dafoe's a great actor too, but Weaving has that theater background going for him, and I think he was able to convey a lot more with body language.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

P.S. I miss geeking out with you, Marc! I suppose blog comments will have to do.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home