Tuesday, March 28, 2006

French Women Don't Get Fat


Sandy's book #6: French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano

Apparently French women are these wise, wordly creatures who have the utmost appreciation for fine chocolates, wines, breads and a completely healthy outlook on eating and how it relates to their bodies. And they NEVER work out. I don't know any Frenchies personally, so I'm not in a position to dispute this. If this Guiliano woman is to be believed, however, then I've just read a goldmine of nuggets on how to ward off disease, obesity, and the negative signs of aging! Jackpot! I do concede that this book was pretty interesting, and I've already taken a handful of new Frenchie behaviors away from it. Par example... (Guiliano sprinkles all these Frenchie phrases throughout the book and it got on my nerves. She doesn't bother to translate half of them. I took French 101 but I don't know what the hell in dans le peau blah blah means, lady!) Anyway, for example... I am striving striving to drink 8 glasses of water per day and even keeping track in a little notebook. In two weeks the most I've drunk in one day is six glasses. Also I am going to STOP eating junk chocolate; only the finest artisan dark chocolate (uh, or Trader Joe's) will do for my lips. And as soon as the Farmer's Market begins, I am going to stock up on fruits and veg at least weekly. I've begun to notice how ghastly supermarket produce is and how fast it rots. I ain't gonna stop working out though. This femme seems to think ironing clothes is an effective calorie-burner?!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

I always just attributed it to a healthier relationship to food (as you mentioned) and also to their more mobile lifestyle. I imagine that they walk more than we do and that fewer of them are trapped behind desks all day. And actually, I think there's something to that "ironing as exercise" thing. Just in that, if our whole lives were less automated, we'd be burning more calories without even being aware of it.

2:50 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Hey, I've met fat French women! It's true that nobody is obese over there though (or in Europe in general) - I think for the reasons Carrie listed above. However, they also don't think of average-weight people as fat. I thought everyone in France would be way skinnier than me, but they weren't really, I pretty much fit into the normal range of body types. I don't think they have as many destructive body image issues there at all. Nor do they have the idea that everyone should weigh 120 lbs or less, regardless of their height.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home