Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Scorching Hot

Movie #15 – Ask the Dust



This movie is really excellent. I’m not just saying that because I got to see Colin Farrell’s booty (as if we all haven’t seen that enough). It’s really well-written and well-acted, kind of in the style of 40s romances where the witty remarks fly and there’s always some sort of simmering resentment in the air. I haven’t read the original book but I though Robert Towne did a superb job recreating the atmosphere of Los Angeles during the depression. Although it is a romance the main theme is racism, and the film doesn’t shy away from uncomfortable moments. It’s also surprisingly funny – overall, way better than I expected it to be. Oh, and it’s aggressively sexy. I won’t say any more, but I don’t think anyone will be disappointed by the sex scenes.

Now a comment about movie marketing – I’ve heard this movie is going to get a big push later in the year. Not sure if that’s true or not (if that’s the case, why is it being released on a limited basis in cities right now?) In any case it’s being pushed as an independent art film, which I suppose it is by today’s standards. To me it seems like a solid Hollywood film (written and directed by a dependable name, with two really huge and bankable stars). Both the leads take all their clothes off (in case anyone needs a reason to persuade their boyfriend to see this movie: Yes, Salma Hayek looks pretty darn good). I don’t understand why the production company didn’t open this movie nationwide, slip a bunch of stories about the nudity into the press, and plant a story about Colin Farrell and Salma Hayek banging each other or something inane like that. They would make loads more money and it seems like a pretty easy sell to me. I appreciate the fact that they’re trying to do this with some integrity and sell it as an art film for intelligent people, but I thought all movie producers were money-hungry whores. Just a little confused here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Salma Hayek naked?! I'm there.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home