Friday, February 24, 2006

Viewing #4 of Movie #6




Yes, I saw The New World tonight. OK, I have bad news. I picked up the Chicago Reader, and The New World is not in theaters as of tomorrow. Laugh all you want, but I am not emotionally prepared for a week without this movie. I think that whatever scrap of mental health I have right now is due entirely to repeated viewings of The New World. I’m seriously lacking at this moment, and this movie hit something that just kept me going. I’m in complete denial. Maybe it’ll hit a budget theater… this is Chicago, after all.

One side note: Chicago movie-going audiences are awesome. I’ve seen at least 250 movies in the theater since I moved here, and I’ve only had maybe 3 or 4 bad experiences. Maybe I’ll detail them in my blog later.

I’ve been reading the online “reviews” of The New World done by random people on the internet… I love reading what idiots think. It’s hilarious. And I’m glad that I saw the movie four times, and not a single idiot was in the audience any of those four times. Here’s the best “review” I read today, from msn.com:

Not for People Who Like Simple Movies (review by Movielover):
“I love movies and I saw Badlands too. The New World was a great movie, the scenery, colors, lifestyle then, I had to see this and the only drawback was no subtiles (sic) when the natives were speaking. But that was what happened back then, sign language and not knowing what the other was saying. Be realistic that was the way it was, learning to communicate, so it was somewhat realistic. Guess what, Q’orianka got to kiss both Colin Farrell and Christian Bale. I had to see that. 4 out of 5 stars.”

Wow. No commentary necessary. Unfortunately both this person and I apparently liked the movie a great deal, even though she was under the impression that Native Americans didn’t have an actual spoken language, but spoke in grunts and clicks like dolphins.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

This is my favorite part: "Be realistic that was the way it was, learning to communicate, so it was somewhat realistic." Is she telling me to be realistic about the realism? Why get all confrontational about it? Plus, she loves movies and has ALSO seen Badlands? I wish these people weren't allowed to be on the internet.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Ha ha, sounds like she used Babelfish translation software to compose her "review."

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home