Monday, January 07, 2008

I Can't Look at Close-Ups of People Shooting Up

American Gangster

Hasn't anyone else on this blog seen this yet? I liked it pretty well, but I don't think it's destined to win any big awards. It kind of plods along, like many cop+gangster movies tend to do. Denzel is totally channeling Pacino in a couple of parts. In fact, if this movie were an equation, it would be:

Serpico + The Godfather Pt. II / Sleepless in Seattle * heroin= American Gangster


I liked Russell Crowe's hair. Parted down the middle and feathery, just like Keith Partridge's. I hope that style comes back next. (The teenage boys are wearing their hair Leif Garrett style now, so it would stand to reason...)

Denzel hasn't aged in ten years!

This "review" is completely superficial. Sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

First, who does heroin in this movie? Second, wasn't Russell Crowe's accent distracting? It was in the previews, and that's why I didn't see this.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I actually liked Russell's accent; I thought he pulled it off. I read on imdb that he requested tapes of the real dude speaking in order to mimic his accent.

Lots of random peeps shooting up. Denzel plays a heroin kingpin, and there's at least one montage of his clients using. Ew.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home