Wednesday, September 05, 2007

DADDY YANKEE




Ryan and I went to this show of our own accord; Andrea was dragged unwillingly. I have never in my life been to a booty-shakin’ concert before, as I don’t often listen to that sort of music, but I have to say I had a great time. The arena was like a giant icebox, but the pyrotechnics actually warmed the place up. It wasn’t filled to capacity, so they switched our crappy seats for some on the side that were actually really close. I love reggaeton music no matter what anyone says, and I thought the whole thing really fulfilled my expectations of what a spectacle concert should be: Costume changes, indoor fireworks, lots of almost-naked dancers (both female and male), even dancing robots! Oddly enough, I heard less Spanish being spoken in the crowd than I have ever heard anywhere in the entire city of Chicago since I moved here… which was funny, because the crowd was approximately 100% Latino. I think Ryan was the token non-Latino there (although he doesn’t look particularly lily-white). Poor guy didn’t understand a single word Daddy Yankee said, but I don’t think it bothered him one bit. I can’t wait for the concert DVD to be released. My sister only enjoyed herself marginally. Whatever, she’s European, she can’t be expected to understand our pop culture.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Daddy Yankee performed on So You Think You Can Dance, but I skipped by it on Tivo. However, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Nigel Lythgoe and Cat Deeley say "Daddy Yankee" over and over again in posh British accents.

4:06 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Ha ha, you tivo So You Think You Can Dance? I dream of the day where I have enough time to record crappy TV shows and actually watch them. That episode sounds fun, I wish I had seen it.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Soon, Maya! Very soon! Assuming your schedule be more flexible once you're done with school.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home