Sunday, October 01, 2006

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Movie #64



This movie really cracked me up. It would have been better to see it in a crowded theater instead of at the Logan Budget with three other people. Often, I was the only person laughing. I loved the absurd humor and thought it really worked in this circumstance (unlike Dodgeball, which I honestly didn’t think was that funny). One of my favorite lines:
“France invented democracy… existentialism… and the ménage a trios.”
“OK, those are three really good things.”
It’s just so silly!
One problem I had, however, was the constant advertising. Yeah, I understand that they were overdoing it in order to make a satirical point. But they must have reaped millions from the sponsors! They actually stop the movie at one point for an Appleby’s commercial! In order to work as a straight satire, all of the products should have been invented (like the clown malt beverage). But this is a Hollywood picture, after all…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home