Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Poo on the Chicago Film Fest

Movie #68



This week, Jonathan Rosenbaum (the movie critic for the Chicago Reader) published his annual preview of the Chicago Film Festival under the headline: “The Best of the Fest – At a Fest That’s Not the Best.” I was a little annoyed – DUH it’s not the best festival, everyone knows that, why shit on it in advance and possibly dissuade people from attending? But so far with my one movie, I haven’t had a great experience. I saw The Page Turner, a French film which Steve saw in Toronto and raved about. I thought it was really an excellent film – great, taut little thriller, good characters and pacing, superb use of music, etc. But the print didn’t make it and they showed a goddamn screener! That’s right, they showed a low-quality DVD with the caption “PROPERTY OF DIAPHANA” in the upper left-hand corner the whole time. I don’t know whose fault it was, and don’t want to point fingers. They did offer free vouchers to everyone who was unhappy, so at least I got a free movie ticket out of it.
Steve has seen about 12 movies at the festival already (looks like he was busy while other people were having weddings). He’s been ambivalent about the vast majority of them and has only liked a couple. I pointed out that if he had watched 25 movies at Toronto he would have surely seen something he didn’t care for as well. He’s having a bit of bad luck (he also had to sit through a projected screener).
Anyway, I have two screenings on Thurs. and two more on Friday. So hopefully – no more screeners!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home