Thursday, October 05, 2006

I Also Go To Movies

Movie #16: Half Nelson

If you've read a review of Half Nelson, chances are you already know all about Ryan Gosling's outstanding performance in this film. Well, I hope you like broken records, because I'm not going to say anything new here. Gosling somehow manages to extract all the sensationalism out of the role of Dan, and infuses him with more life and honesty than I believe the script even provides. This is not to say he "rises above the material" (for an example of that, rent The Notebook) because the writing and direction are also impressive. The film treats Dan's drug use as a fact of a troubled life. Just one fact, though, among many. Dan is an engaged history teacher, intent on getting his students interested in dialectics. He coaches girls' basketball. He is funny and sweet and loving and depressed and smokes crack sometimes. See how easily that slips in there?

Some of the film was improvised, which speaks to the strength of not only Gosling, but Shareeka Epps as well. Epps's only other credit (besides her high school plays) is in the short that led to this feature. She plays Drey with a quiet intelligence and sadness, while somehow managing to hold on to a ray of innocence.

Anyway, Ryan Gosling has climbed even higher up my Mountain O' Movie Stars with this one. Now, everyone: Go rent The Believer and The Notebook, and go see Half Nelson. If Gosling doesn't end up at least in the foothills around your personal Mountains, I'd check your pulse, because you may already be dead inside.


Movie #17: Little Miss Sunshine

You both already talked about this one, so I'm not going to go into much detail. I liked it, and I LOVED little Abigail Breslin. Also loved Alan Arkin. The whole movie could have been about the two of them and I would have been thrilled. Everyone was good, on the whole, but I will admit that I got a little tired of the quirks. And Maya's right - the end routine got very long and was a little unbelievable. It was genuinely sweet and funny, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home