Saturday, November 25, 2006

I Can Read, Y’All

I forgot about a few things:
Cultural Event #22 – The Mosquitos. I went to this with Kelly and a few other friends. It’s some Brazilian band whose members she met in Madison, and she got the tickets and set everything up. It was pretty fun, but instead of playing high-energy Brazilian dance music, they played really lounge-y stuff (and then complained that nobody was dancing, seriously). They were mainly notable for having two backup singers, one of whom was a gay gentleman in short shorts. The opening bands sucked.
Cultural Event #23 – Piano Recital! Some dude called Fazil Say from Turkey. Patty got free tickets so I went with her. I won’t bore you with my full review of why I had problems with his performance (trust me, I could fill pages with my critique). Basically, he did whatever the hell he wanted and mangled some traditional classical pieces pretty badly. Sure, it’s possible to spin old pieces with a new interpretation, but this guy wasn’t doing that. He clearly loved being the center of attention. Also, it was pretty sloppy (to be fair, the last piece he played was Liszt’s B Minor Sonata which is difficult). But it was sloppy nonetheless. I usually avoid recitals because they make me nervous, and all I hear are the mistakes.
Book #3 – I read Guns, Germs, and Steel months ago. At least I read most of it. I have to admit I skimmed through the end. Pretty interesting stuff. I think it’s safe to say I won’t be doing any more non-school-related reading for the rest of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home